Kitchen save 40%

Sunday, December 4, 2016

Perfect Semi-homemade Cornbread [Instant Pot Pressure Cooker]


Mmmm… cornbread. I love cornbread. I love cornbread with a lot more than chili - it’s a great bread-side to most any meal. Love it.

NOTE: NEW website coming soon! Subscribe for updates!
-subscribe using option at the top left of the page


What I don’t love though - really crumbly cornbread. Anyone else dislike crumbly cornbread?

So I have to admit, I don’t often truly home-make cornbread. I don’t really feel the need to because I am IN LOVE with Jiffy - Jiffy corn muffin mix is the best. It’s affordable, it’s easy, it only needs a couple ingredients, and its the perfect level of sweetness. It’s just the best, and I don’t feel the need to recreate what is already good. So, hence the semi-homemade title…

I use the ingredients the both calls for, but I also add a pinch of salt, black pepper and my trick is (shhhh) 1/4 t baking soda. What?!? Why you ask? Because I want to make SURE it is light and fluffy and I find that extra kick of baking soda (in addition to whatever Jiffy already puts in it) does the trick!

Another trick! Beat the egg and milk the box calls for thoroughly before adding to dry box ingredients. This will help prevent you from over-mixing the cornbread batter - you really want it to just come together, perhaps even a couple lumps still. Do NOT over-mix!

One more trick - use a springform pan! I use the Nordic Ware 7 inch non-stick springform. This is especially important in the Instant Pot. A round glass Pyrex would work, too. I have my favorite Instant Pot accessories, and this springform pan is high on the list!

Of course, I always cook it in my oven. And, sadly, it’s usually a certain level of crumbly. The habit I was getting into was making corn muffins - I found that at least this allowed a solid serving without crumbs until the person eating it had it on their plate. Better than trying to cut it and serving them crumbs.

Cornbread, in the Instant PotI honestly didn’t think would work. When I opened the lid, I thought for sure it would be raw, or overcooked, or rubbery, or something weird.

However… drum roll please…

It was PHENOMENAL - quite honestly, it was thee BEST cornbread I have EVER had.


It was moist, it was fluffy, it was that perfect sweet Jiffy cornbread always is.

This is the PERFECT accompaniment to my Pressure Cooker Beef & Bean Chili!



Perfect Semi-homemade Cornbread




Ingredients/tools:

1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
pinch salt
pinch black pepper
1/4 t baking soda
1 T butter cut into 4 pieces, optional
1 cup water
IP Cooking rack
Cooking spray
7 inch springform pan

Pour 1 cup water into bottom of Instant Pot (IP). Place rack over water (the rack that comes with the Instant Pot works well).
Lightly spray 7 inch spring form pan with cooking spray (you can also use a pie dish that will fit into IP, or any oven safe bowl).

Crack egg into small mixing bowl, add milk, and beat thoroughly. Add salt, pepper and baking soda. Mix thoroughly. Add Jiffy cornbread mix. Lightly mix until just combined - do not over mix. Pour batter into springform pan. Scatter butter on top of batter.


Cornbread ready to Instant-Pot-bake!
Carefully place on top of rack in IP. (I do not cover, but some prefer to cover with aluminum foil to prevent any liquid from getting in their batter - I honestly prefer it uncovered so it stays moist!)

Close lid, turn vent to “Sealing”. Press “Manual” and adjust time using “+/-“ buttons to 15 minutes.

Instant Pot will take 5-10 minutes to pressurize, then cook time countdown will begin. When cook time is complete, IP will beep and change to Keep Warm setting. Allow IP to naturally release pressure (NPR) for 10 minutes, then release the rest (QPR).

Open your lid, and allow yourself to be amazed by the site of perfectly cooked, perfectly fluffy, perfectly risen… 

Perfect Semi-homemade cornbread



Perfect Semi-homemade Cornbread, straight out of the Instant Pot!


Let them eat Cornbread!
And while they do, get another one cooking because you’ll probably need seconds and then some!


Connect with us on FacebookInstagramTwitter and Pinterest!

Check out all of our Favorite Instant Pot Accessories!

23 comments:

  1. wonderful Thank you so much for this. I wanted cornbread but did not want to heat up the house with the oven and this was perfect. Now I just need a second IP to get this done at the same time as supper. :) But good thing it doesn't take long :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me what you think! I've gotten mixed reviews on this method and I am 100% open to feedback! -Jessica

      Delete
  2. This look delicious! Thank you for this recipe and all the helpful tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure -- Feel free to comment with any feedback you might have on any recipe you try! - Jessica

      Delete
  3. I just made this using the Ekovanna stacking pans with frozen ham and beans in the bottom pan and the cornbread in the top pan. I did use the lid that came with the pans. I ended up having to put it back for 5 more minutes. It tastes good, but was rather flat (did not rise much). I will make it in my springform pan next time. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if having something frozen next to it while cooking made a difference? I have not tried the cornbread at the same time as anything else yet. I need to try!

      Delete
  4. Can you please change the background on your site? I want to try your recipes, but it is not possible to copy and paste the white text. Visually, it is very difficult to read the white print on the dark green background. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti - here's a tip - you can copy white text - just paste it into your document and then change the text color back to black.

      Jessica - looking forward to trying this. I just made a pound of black eyes peas for my hubby. (1 hours from dried to ready to eat!!) Was not looking forward to turning on the oven to make cornbread to go with it.

      Delete
  5. This wasn't done after the 10 min and a 10 min qpr. Still goopy in the middle. I covered it before putting into the IP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the same problem every time I cook. Decided 20 min is a minimum to get it to cook in the IP

      Delete
  6. This looks awesome! If I made it in a 6 cup bundt pan, how much time would you cook? I am thinking it would be less time than doing this in the springform pan. TIA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven’t tried the bundt pan but I would assume about the same amount of time. Maybe 12-13 minutes instead of 15.

      I need to attempt this way and the bundt pan and secure cooking times. If you have done it either way, please share how it turned out!

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you think this would work in a 7" springform loaf pan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I think cook time would be the same. Since batter would not be as spread out in a loaf pan, it might need another minute or two. You'd have to experiment :)

      Delete
  9. I have done this several times now and it always turns out perfect! I just wish I had a second pot so I could cook the meal and the cornbread at the same time :) I also don't put the butter on top. I do it the same as in the oven, I butter the pan and add butter to the mix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya on the second pot! :)

      Delete
    2. I LOVE LOVE LOVE having 2 Instant Pots! My DH upgraded my 1st one and instead of passing it on...I kept it! I love cooking cornbread in one and soup/stew/chili in the other at the same time!!

      Delete
    3. Thanks for posting this I'm excited to try it!

      Delete
  10. We don't have jiffy cornbread mix here, and I'm wondering about using my own from scratch recipe. How much does the jiffy mix make? How long and what temp does it bake? How much does it fill the pan?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for this recipe. We wanted cornbread to go with beans and didn’t want to heat the house (it’s already 90 degrees outside). I didn’t have baking soda but found a conversion to baking powder. Dinner was awesome. I loved the texture of the bread. This will be a staple in my house!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Made exactly as written and it was perfect! Used a hand mixer for the eggs and milk, mixed the rest of the ingredients by hand. Thank you for such an easy and foolproof recipe--I'm a terrible cook and this was amazing!

    ReplyDelete