Kitchen save 40%

Thursday, December 8, 2016

Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs [Instant Pot Pressure Cooker]


I love hard boiled (HB) eggs.


NOTE: NEW website coming soon! Subscribe for updates!

-subscribe using option at the top left of the page


I love deviled eggs made with HB eggs, I love potato salad with HB eggs and I love egg salad made with HB eggs.

What I don’t love is making the hard boiled egg.

Anyone else see peeling HB eggs as their nemesis? They defeat me on a regular basis.

I have read tons of “perfect” methods for the “perfect” and/or “easy to peel” HB eggs, but no matter what I do, those damn shells…

Plus, who else is guilty of putting their eggs on the stove, walking away and forgetting them for too long, or losing track of how long they’ve been cooking, or getting their water boiling too heavily and you crack an egg or 2 - then you get that gross bubble like protrusion of egg white that seeps out.

Ugh - I hate cooking hard boiled eggs on the stove top.

I have been tempted to try the oven method - eggs in a muffin tin baked in the oven, but then they're supposed to be "hard boiled” - never tried it. Have you? Something about heating my oven and leaving it on for the 25-30 minutes this technique calls for bothers me too… especially in the middle of a Florida summer (which is pretty much year round!).

So the Instant Pot

I heard cooking eggs in the Pressure Cooker was a good method, so I tried it - actually it was the 2nd thing I ever made in my Instant Pot!

Well let me tell you what. I was LITERALLY GIGGLING with JOY when I finished this method and started peeling… I have never in my life experienced this kind of bliss peeling eggs.

I also love and have a technique for Perfect Medium Boiled Eggs! They are just as easy to make consistently in the Instant Pot! Soft Boiled Eggs, too, for those who like ‘em runny 😜




Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs
The 6-6 method
6 minutes manual, QPR, 6 minutes ice bath


Put about 1 1/2 cups water in the bottom of your Instant Pot and place rack on top of water (rack that comes with IP works!). 
Place eggs on top of rack - I used 6 large eggs. NOTE: you don’t want the water touching the eggs.
If you’re in the market for a rack or other accessories for your IP, take a look at my Favorite Instant Pot Accessories.


Close lid and turn vent knob to Sealing.


Press “Manual” button, and adjust cook time to 6 minutes using “+/-“ buttons.


After a few seconds, the display will change from your cook time of 6 to “ON” - the Instant Pot is starting to pressurize. This will take about 5-10 minutes.


When machine pressurizes, your cook time countdown will begin. Once 6 minutes is complete, the Instant Pot will beep a few times. It automatically changes to “Keep Warm” setting, and begins to depressurize. The display will show as below.


Turn the Instant Pot Off by pressing “Keep Warm/Off” button.


Manually release the pressure (QPR) by turning the vent knob on the lid to “Venting”. 
NOTE: steam releases - I ALWAYS place a towel over the knob BEFORE turning to “Venting”.


Open the lid, and behold - your eggs! Carefully remove (I use tongs - yessss they will be HOT). Place in ice water for 6 minutes.


Now, the moment of TRUTH…

Peel your eggs (get ready to giggle!)

Seriously, have you ever had the entire peel come off altogether!?


1 peel almost intact, 1 perfectly peeled egg!

6 minutes Manual, QPR, 6 minutes ice bath

6-6 method

PERFECT Hard Boiled Eggs



Hard Boiled egg (left) vs. Medium Boiled Egg (right) from the Instant Pot




Learn How to make Soft Boiled Eggs —> Click Here

Learn How to make Medium Boiled Eggs —> Click Here



Connect with us on FacebookInstagramTwitter and Pinterest!

Check out all of our Favorite Instant Pot Accessories!


*updated from original post on 12/15/16

12 comments:

  1. More than one way to skin a cat they used to say; I'm going to try this next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. “They” are still correct! Definitely more than one way, but this is what I find to be the most consistent and easy. Enjoy! Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. I have tried the oven method and it doesn't work well for getting the eggs to peel easily. I have been steaming them but now I have the IP and will try them in there today. I hope they peel as easily as the regular steaming method! Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know I am not missing out on that silly oven technique! Come back and let me know what you think about how easy they peel using this method - I wanted to cry for joy the first time I did it! -Jessica

      Delete
  3. Is there a technique for cooking hard boiled eggs at high pressure for those of us who don't have a dual pressure device?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! I think we might have just "talked" on Facebook :) Almost all of my recipes including this one is using regular Manual High Pressure. Thanks for the question! -Jessica

      Delete
  4. did a dozen at 5-5-5. many shells were cracked and partially peeled. should the eggs be at room temp, before starting?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the recipe and instruction of boiling eggs in pot. I must try this.
    how long to boil eggs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome article, it was exceptionally helpful! I simply began in this and I'm becoming more acquainted with it better! Cheers, keep doing awesome. Buy Views on YouTube cheap

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for website with us such a mind-blowing post. I am really impressed with the information you have provided. Keep up the good work. buy Instagram followers chapest

    ReplyDelete
  8. Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your site and in accession capital to assert that I acquire in fact enjoyed account your blog posts. buy YouTube real Views

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey your blog article is very nice and well define topics. thanks for sharing with us, you can visit here for premium eggs, Best egg for kids and Fresh egg for kids

    ReplyDelete