Kitchen save 40%

Saturday, December 3, 2016

Perfect Farro [Instant Pot Pressure Cooker]

Perfect Farro | Instant Pot Pressure Cooker

NOTE: NEW website coming soon! Subscribe for updates!
-subscribe using option at the top left of the page


Ever heard of or tasted Farro before? If not, run to the store and buy some right now - or do what I do and shop online. My favorite brand is Nature’s Earthly Choice Organic Farro, and it’s so delish that I usually get the 6 pack!



It is so, so good. The texture is somewhere between barley and rice. It cooks somewhere in between rice and pasta - it absorbs a lot of water, like rice, but it won’t absorb it all. You just drain the excess cooking water, like pasta. What it DOES absorb is FLAVOR - any flavor you add, it is going to soak it right up.

And, it is SO easy to cook in the Instant Pot!


Perfect Farro

1 cup farro, rinsed
2 cups water
1 T extra virgin olive oil
Seasonings of choice


Pour 2 cups water in the bottom of IP inner pot. Measure 1 cup farro, and place in fine sieve. Rinse thoroughly with cold water. Add farro to IP. Add seasonings of choice.
For seasonings, I used a pinch salt, 1/2 t garlic salt, 1/4 t black pepper, and 4-5 sprigs fresh thyme.
Close IP lid, and turn vent knob to “Sealing”. Press “Manual” button, and adjust time using “+/-“ buttons to 8 minutes. IP will pressurize, then cook time will begin countdown. When cook time is complete, IP will beep, and automatically change to “Keep Warm” setting. NPR for 5 minutes, the QPR. Drain any remaining liquid with sieve.

Enjoy Farro as is, or use it to make an absolutely delicious Farro Salad - my favorites are Scarlett Farro Salad and Italian Farro Salad, but the possibilities are ENDLESS!



Scarlett Farro Salad - Check out the Recipe








Connect with us on FacebookInstagramTwitter and Pinterest!

Check out all of our Favorite Instant Pot Accessories!


6 comments:

  1. I also love farro. I am surprised it is not a regular part of the American diet. It is so much easier to prepare than rice and has better nutrition. Thank you for your recipe - although I will likely continue with my stovetop method of cooking, it is just too easy not to - I like to see a blog that thinks "outside the box."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, too, LOVE Farro! The texture is so much more “fun” if I may say :)
      Try it in the Instant Pot at least once!
      Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment! -Jessica

      Delete
  2. I invited people for dinner to enjoy a farro/butternut squash/mushroom dinner only to realize late in the day I had no farro. Substituted whole oat groats. Everyone loved the result.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am I missing something here? Your ingredient list has olive oil on it. I don't see anything in the recipe instructions that says when or how it is to be used.

    ReplyDelete