Kitchen save 40%

Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Pressure Cooker Date Raisin Walnut Oatmeal (Rolled or Steel Cut Oats)

Date, Raisin and Walnut Oatmeal

NOTE: NEW website coming soon! Subscribe for updates!
-subscribe using option at the top left of the page


If you’ve been here before, you know I love oatmeal!

I’ve sort of made it a mission to reinvent those popular Oatmeal packet flavors. I’ve eaten plenty of quick oatmeal packets in my day. With age, I have started looking more at nutrition labels - when you can’t pronounce every ingredient, its probably time to consider eating something different…


These days I prefer homemade, and I have become OBSESSED with Oatmeal made in my Instant Pot!


I’ve shared recipes for Apple Cinnamon, Maple Brown Sugar, and Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal.


Today I tackled Date, Raisin and Walnut Oatmeal - it’s wrong to say “tackle” though honestly… it was freaking easy!


Directions included for Rolled Oats or Steel Cut Oats!


Date, Raisin and Walnut Oatmeal (Rolled or Steel Cut Oats)

You know you love my fun green spoon 😆
Ingredients

For Rolled Oats:
1 cup Rolled Oats
2 1/4 cups water (can sub milk)

For Steel Cut Oats:
1 cup Steel Cut Oats
3 cups water (can sub milk)

2 T chopped dates
2 T raisins
2 T chopped walnuts
1/2 t vanilla
1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t salt
1-2 T butter or coconut oil, optional
0*-2 T brown sugar, optional
*why the range? Dates and Raisins are already sweet, you may not need any sugar. This depends totally on your preference. I don’t use any during cooking, but may top my oatmeal with honey or maple syrup

Optional Garnish
nuts, honey, maple syrup, fresh fruit, butter, coconut oil, additional dates/raisins


Essential Tools

Instant Pot, or other pressure cooker

Instant Pot Silicone Mitts


Directions

Add all ingredients to Pressure Cooker Pot insert.



Stir. Close lid and close vent knob. For Instant Pot, turn Vent knob to “Sealing”


Choose High Pressure cooking setting and adjust cook time.
For Instant pot, Press “Manual” button and use “+/-“ button to adjust cook time.

For Steel Cut Oats: adjust cook time to 12-15* minutes.

For Rolled Oats: adjust cook time to 3-5* minutes.

*Why the cook time range? It depends how you like your oats - less cook time means more “bite”, more means a creamier finish. I cook my rolled oats 4 minutes and my steel cut 12 minutes (I wouldn’t cook them less than 12).

Your pressure cooker will take 5-10 minutes to pressurize.
For Instant Pot, display will show as “On” until it pressurizes, then cook time will display and countdown will begin. 

When cook time is complete, quickly release pressure (QPR) by opening vent knob.
For Instant Pot, QPR by turning vent knob to “Venting”

I always cover vent knob with a towel before QPR.


Open lid and stir holding the inner pot with oven mitts, I use my Instant Pot Silicone Mitts - enjoy the sites, and the aroma!


Serve, garnished with extra walnuts, if desired.

I get 3 servings when using rolled oats and 4 servings when using steel cut oats from this recipe - you can absolutely double or even triple/quadruple this recipe!

Date, Raisin and Walnut Oatmeal


Connect with us on FacebookInstagramTwitter and Pinterest!

Check out all of our Favorite Instant Pot Accessories!

No comments:

Post a Comment